Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blog 2

I am sure most of my classmates have had "The Talk" with their parents. Sadly, I have never had it. I learned it hard way. I remember when I was in middle school having my first menstrual cycle. I was so embarrassed. I will never forget that day. I don't blame my Mom for not telling me though. I come from very traditional culture. Never heard my Mom say the V word. I am still having issues now to say vagina. It must be the culture thing. So here it goes for the talk scenario. I have a little niece and nephew. I am planning to have the birds and bees talk with them one day. This is the talk..

One day my niece will be a teenager and she will be meeting boys. I don't want her to find out things by herself. So I will sit down and tell her about what sex is. One day my niece asked what is the difference between a boy and a girl. I told her "a boy has a penis and a girl has a vagina". She asked if her brother has penis. I told her yes.  I know it will be hard to talk about sex and all the talk but I am gonna have to talk to her because I know she won't be able to talk to her mother.

She asked about the boobs too. She asked why do I wear bra. I told her I have to wear it to cover the boobs. She kept on asking why. I told her one day, she will grow up like me and have boobs and she will have to wear the bra. From that day on, she keeps asking when will she grow up. She is one little funny kid. It is gonna be uncomfortable though.

My nephew on the other side refuse to talk about it. He knows the babies come from the Mommy's tummy. He is 10 and he does not want to talk about girls. It's gonna be hard but I will let her know about the sex before she explore it herself.

3 comments:

  1. Oh don't feel alone hun. I completely get where you are coming from. I have an African background also and the word "sex" was never spoken in my household. I had to find every thing out on my own and that was horrible. Until my sister opened up to me and sopke with me everything she knew. She is ten years older so she definently knew what she was talking about. It was so comforting knowing I could speak to her if I ever needed anyhing and I'm sure later on your niece will be forever grateful to you for being there for her. You would be doing a great deed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you are a great aunt for talking to your niece and nephew (even if he is shy about it now.) It should make it easier for them to come to you knowing you will be open and honest with them. To be honest, I never had the talk with my parents either. That's why I knew I had to start early with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people who have never had "the talk" with their parents. I think that it is more common now then it was 20 years ago for parents to openly talk about sex with their teenagers. Your niece and nephew are lucky to have you as an aunt in case they ever do have questions. I believe that culture has a tremendous impact on how open people are about sexuality.

    ReplyDelete